Sunday, April 15, 2007

Grindhouse

Went and saw "Grindhouse" last night. I was a little hesitant since it was such a long movie, but I finally gave in. Hubby really wanted to see it and I kept thinking I would enjoy it so much more in the comfort of my own home. Ah well...sometimes you have to give in. SO GLAD I DID! It was amazing! Growing up in the 70s I remember these types of films quite well. The time flew by! If you don't already know it is two separate movies linked together in the middle with fake previews which were also great. The first was a classic "bad" zombie flick called "Planet Terror" by Robert Rodriguez. The second one was a psycho killer flick called "Death Proof" by Quentin Tarantino. Some of the actors did double duty and appeared in both films including Tarantino. In some cases playing basically the same character. It was fantastically bad and grainy with lost reels and even the film burning at one point. All on purpose of course. They were both classic examples of bad B movies, but somehow better than that. Don't ask me to explain. I must say though I think Rodriguez did the better job. He seemed to understand the genre a little bit better. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Tarantino's flick, but he seemed to forget half way through the film that he wasn't just doing one of his normal films. Still saying that though it was a great time. Totally deserves to be seen on the big screen. We just wish we had seen it at the drive-in which would have been perfect. Everyone laughed and cheered through the whole thing. If you are a B movie fan then "Grindhouse" is a must! In my honest opinion this movie deserves the Academy Award for Editing. It was brilliant. They broke all of the rules and paved their own way.
Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home