Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My dental odyssey

About two years ago I decided it was time to get over my fear of dentists. Up until that time I had been a very sporadic visitor. As a child I went regularly and then somewhere during my teenage years it all fell apart. We moved to Colorado when I was 12 and had a really hard time finding a good dentist. So, long story short...I had some horrible experiences during the next few years and developed this paralyzing fear. In my 20s I was forced back because of an abscessed tooth (major ouch!) and that just added to my fear. Don't get me wrong I took care of them. I brushed twice a day, mouthwash etc. Well, my Dad's side of the family has horrible teeth. My Mom's great. Of course which teeth did I get? You got it! There is a name for it, but it escapes me at the moment. Basically they break easily. Well, over the years some of my back teeth had broken down so much, that it was time to suck it up and do something about it.
Hubby did the research for me. I was too scared to even think about it too much. He ended up finding this great dentist who I have really come to like and trust. She understands my fear and really works with me on it. She's definitely more expensive than your average dentist, but she has really helped me. I even get to watch DVDs while they work on me. That's my favorite part!
There is a reason I brought this up. I'm kinda celebrating today. Two years of receiving multiple dental surgeries, 2 bridges and 3 dental implants. Dealing with painful floating bone fragments and nightguards and more novocaine shots than I care to remember. Today my odyssey has almost been finished and I can move on to 6 month checkups. I just have a small follow-up appointment in December. I have spent so much money on my mouth these last 2 years. Dental is not offered through our health insurance. I could have bought a really nice car for the amount of money I've had to spend on my teeth the last few years. Just one question...why is dental not covered in most health plans anymore?
Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home